SEMCOL and Learning Dreams are looking for businesses, community organizations, and individuals to participate in our second annual Learning Carnival in September.
Last year, the Southeast Minneapolis Council on Learning (SEMCOL) organized the first annual Southeast Minneapolis Learning Carnival. Nearly 200 people—children and adults—gathered to participate in a variety of fun, hands-on learning activities provided for free by local businesses and community organizations.
This year, we’re planning to make the Learning Carnival bigger and more fun, and we’d like you to be involved. Please consider sharing something you love teaching or learning about with an interactive, experiential learning activity at the Learning Carnival. Local businesses, community organizations, and individuals are invited to participate on the September 29th, 2012 event.
Some highlights from last year included:
- The Minnesota Planetarium Society brought its mobile planetarium, the ExploraDome, and led explorations of the solar system.
- The Mobile Creative Outpost invited us to play, build, and create on an adventure playground.
- Foci Glass demonstrated glassblowing.
- The Weisman Art Museum led art activities.
- The Northern Clay center invited us to try pottery.
- IFP Minnesota included us in the making of a film.
- Wilderness Inquiry brought tents and taught us how to set them up for camping.
- Pratt Community Education and Essence of Prodigy Dance Studio showed us how to dance, and we danced!
The goal of the Southeast Minneapolis Learning Carnival is to reveal the rich variety of learning opportunities available in our community. Everyone who attends will make new connections and discover many possibilities for meaningful learning experiences.
Registration Information: To participate in the September 29th, 2012 Southeast Minneapolis Learning Carnival, please complete a registration form and email it to [email protected] by Friday, August 1st (it will not be possible to include organizations that register after August 1st in carnival promotions).
If you have questions, or if you would like help planning an experiential learning activity for the carnival, contact Matt Carlson at 612-624-4294 or [email protected].